You should be re-directed to another page momentarily. If not, please visit site://

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I navigate CaneLink?

    If you need help navigating CaneLink, check out our CaneLink Quick Guide.

  • How do I submit my enrollment deposit?

    To submit your enrollment deposit, you must accept your offer of admission in your CaneLink account by the date indicated on your admission letter.

    Payment can be made via your CaneLink account by credit card or electronic check.

  • How do I submit my housing prepayment?

    Once we have received and processed your enrollment deposit, it will take 24-48 business hours for the housing application link to be activated on your CaneLink. To apply for on-campus housing, you must submit an additional $500 housing prepayment via CaneLink under the "UM Housing" section. For more specific questions about applying for housing, please contact the Department of Housing and Residential Life at 305-284-4505 or via email at


  • Are new students guaranteed housing?

    Housing is guaranteed to incoming first-year students provided they meet all deadlines. All non-local freshmen are required to live on campus. Local freshmen who plan to live off campus must complete the Live-On Requirement Exemption form at

    • First-year students admitted for the fall semester should apply for housing prior to May 15 to receive a priority housing assignment. Housing applications received after that date are accepted on a space-available basis.
    • First-year students admitted for spring semester can apply for housing using the spring-only housing application available in CaneLink beginning in late October.

  • When will I know my room assignment?

    • Room assignments for fall applicants are available via CaneLink in early July.
    • Room assignments for spring applicants are available via CaneLink by late December.

  • Can I still apply for financial aid if I haven’t already?

    Yes, you can still apply; however if it is determined that you are eligible, financial aid will be awarded only if funds remain available. Be sure to complete both the CSS Profile and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)and submit any additional tax documents as soon as possible. For more information, visit our Office of Student Financial Aid and Employment.

  • Does the University of Miami offer a payment plan for tuition and fee costs?

    The Office of Student Account Services offers several alternative payment options. Some are administered by Student Account Services, and others are administered by financial institutions. For more information, please visit the Tuition Payment Plans webpage. 

  • Can I postpone my enrollment and take a gap year?

    If you are interested in postponing enrollment to take a gap year, you must submit a short explanation detailing your proposed plans for the gap year via email at by June 1. Be sure to include "Postponement/Gap Year" in the subject line of your message.

    Please note:

    - Transfers admitted for the fall or spring semester, cannot postpone admission.

    - Freshman admitted for the fall semester, can postpone admission.

    - Freshman admitted for the spring semester, cannot postpone admission.

    Postponements are typically granted for one semester or one year. You will be notified of your postponement status as soon as possible. If college courses are taken during the gap year, you will have to reapply as a transfer student and receive a new admission decision, which will include consideration of the new academic information.

  • What do I need to know about Orientation?

    'Cane Kickoff is our new student orientation that marks a new beginning and time of celebration for all undergraduate incoming students. The required program provides you with the foundation for your life at UM. Optional programming is also provided for family members. Visit the Orientation webpage for additional information. 

    'Cane Kickoff is held the week before classes begin in:

    • August if you are beginning in the fall
    • January if you are beginning in the spring

  • Can I double major or add a minor?

    Yes, UM not only allows but also encourages students to pursue double majors or a combination of majors and minors across all of our nine undergraduate schools and colleges, especially in unrelated academic fields. Some major combinations might be more feasible than others, but a student’s academic advisor will be sure to lead him or her down an appropriate academic path. 

  • When can I add a second major and/or minor?

    Students will have an opportunity to do so when they speak with an academic advisor during orientation.

  • Who can I speak to about disabilities or accessibility resources?

    The Office of Disability Services provides resources to students with disabilities. You can email them at or call 305-284-2374. 

  • Do I have to submit immunization records?

    The Student Health Service website has all the information you will need about health and immunization requirements. You can also email them at or call 305-284-9100.

  • Am I required to participate in the University's health insurance?

    All full-time students are required to obtain adequate health insurance. The annual premium for the health insurance plan offered through the Student Health Service is added to each student’s fees.

    • Domestic students with adequate alternative coverage may opt out of the University’s health insurance and request cancellation via CaneLink.
    • International students are required to enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance program.

  • On CaneLink, what is a proxy?

    A proxy user is a person who has been given access to a student’s record in CaneLink. This is a popular option for students who wish to grant access to their parent(s) or guardian(s).

  • What is a 'Cane Card?

    Your 'Cane Card is your on-campus identification card at the University of Miami. All University students are required to carry their 'Cane Card for identification purposes while on campus. With it, you can gain access to buildings (including residence halls, the library, computer labs, and the Wellness Center) and athletic events, check out books from the library, purchase discounted Metrorail tickets, and pay for meals.