First-Year Fall FAQs

Congratulations, you’re a 'Cane! But now what? You have questions. We have answers. Here are the most common questions we get from newly admitted first-year fall students.
Open All Tabs
  • When will I be notified if I received any merit scholarship or an invitation to the honors program?

    Your application for admission is used to determine your eligibility for all merit-based scholarships and the honors awarded. If granted, these awards will be included with your admission offer.

  • Does UM match merit scholarships offered by other colleges/universities?

    No, UM does not match scholarship offers made by other colleges/universities—but we congratulate you on your academic achievements that have led to so many wonderful opportunities, including admission to UM.

  • Can I still apply for financial aid if I haven’t already?

    Yes. Even if you missed a deadline, you can still apply, however, you may be at a disadvantage. Be sure to complete both the CSS Financial Aid profile and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible.

  • I am dropping a class in high school after being admitted. What do I do?

    It is important to note that academic rigor and performance always come first. Before dropping a class in one of the core academic subject areas, please seek approval from your assigned admission counselor. Also, please make sure that any proposed changes will not interfere with your ability to fulfill high school graduation requirements.

  • Is it possible to change my major prior to enrollment?

    Yes. Submit the Change of Major Request form in the Applicant Portal by May 15 to have Undergraduate Admission update your major. Submission of the form does not guarantee your major will be changed. We will notify you regarding your approval status as soon as possible.

    After May 15, deposited students must contact their school or college directly. See the New Student Registration Timeline for more information.

    Please note that if your major is in the Frost School of Music or the School of Architecture and you did not submit standardized test scores, you will not be able to change your major out of your respective school until after you have completed a year of courses at the University of Miami.

  • How can I receive credit for advanced courses?

    The University allows students to receive college credit hour toward graduation from the following programs:

    • Advanced Placement
    • International Baccalaureate
    • Dual Enrollment
    • Cambridge
    • CAPE
    • College Level Examination Program
    • General Certificate of Education


    To have Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, or College Level Examination Program credit hours evaluated, the student must submit an official test result report to the Office of Undergraduate Admission. In addition, UM will only award credit once the official A-Level, AS-Level, CAPE, and/or Cambridge Pre-U exam certificate has been issued.

    The University of Miami does not give credit hours for CLEP Foreign Language and General Examinations. Students taking dual enrollment courses (college courses taken while still in high school) must submit an official college transcript for review of potential transfer credit hours.

    A student must submit official transcripts or results no later than the end of the first semester of enrollment for review. Documents submitted after this time period will not be reviewed and credit hours will not be awarded.

    The University will accept no more than 60 credit hours from these programs to count toward the 120 credit hours required for graduation.

    >>Transferring Credits

  • Do I need to send my official final high school transcripts and official test scores?

    Your admission offer is pending our receipt and review of your official final high school transcript. This document must be received prior to your enrollment at UM, and the Committee reserves the right to withdraw your admission offer if you do not submit your official final high school transcript document in a timely manner.

    Those who indicated on their Common Application that they wished for the Committee to consider their self-reported test scores, please submit official score results by mid-summer prior to your enrollment at UM. The Committee reserves the right to withdraw your admission offer if you wished for us to consider your self-reported test scores and do not submit official score results in a timely manner.

  • I'm an international student, do I need to submit my official final high school transcripts for a foreign credential evaluation?

    No, that is not necessary. Please have your high school guidance counselor submit your official final transcripts via mail or email to

  • When will I receive the first tuition bill for the fall semester?

    If you are enrolled, six weeks prior to the first day of class, you (and anyone to whom you have granted proxy access) will receive an email notification to access your tuition invoice in CaneLink. The balance due on the statement must be satisfied by the due date or your courses will be subject to cancellation.

    For more information about your bill, please contact the Office of Student Account Services.

    For questions about Financial Aid awards, please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance & Employment.

  • As an international student, when will my I-20 be issued?

    Before issuing your I-20, students must submit their enrollment deposit, a bank or government sponsorship letter (sample found here) or online bank statement, and a photocopy of the biographical page of their passport. After all requirements have been fulfilled, I-20s will begin to be processed in March for deposited Early Decision students and in May for deposited Early Action and Regular Decision students. You should have your bank letter or submit your online bank statement  and all other requirements for the I-20 sent to us no later than July 10. If you don’t adhere to this deadline, we reserve the right to postpone your enrollment to a future entry term.

    These documents can be submitted via email to Please put "Passport/Proof of Funds" in the subject line of your message and be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and Cane ID on all correspondence.

  • When will I be able to have access to my University of Miami email address?

    After admitted students submit their enrollment deposit, you will automatically be assigned a UM email address. This process may take a few days after your deposit has been submitted. Information about accessing your UM student email account will be sent to the personal email address we have on file for you. Once you have been assigned a UM email address, it is important to check this account daily. All UM information will be sent to your UM email address from this point forward.

  • Where and when do I take the math placement test?

    Visit the Math Placement page to find out how the University determines your math placement for your first semester.

    If you are an international student or have been admitted “test optional” AND do not have ACT/SAT/IB/AP scores to report, review the information for the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment.

  • Will I have an academic advisor?

    Yes. All incoming students are assigned an academic advisor. Your academic advisor can help you pick your courses and navigate academic life at UM. During Orientation, you will have an opportunity to meet with your academic advisor.

  • When do I select courses?

    Each of the University's schools and colleges has a specific process of course registration and academic advising. Your school or college will send information about registration and advising directly to your UM email.

    All students will also receive a guide entitled The Road to UM to assist you in taking the next steps at the University. You can also get an idea of what classes are offered at UM by exploring CaneLink as well as our UM Academic Programs. For step-by-step videos on how to register for classes in CaneLink, visit the New Student Registration page.

  • I have Florida Prepaid College. What are my next steps?

    The Florida Prepaid Program must be notified that the student will be attending UM by calling 1-800-552-4723. Students must also complete the University of Miami's Florida Prepaid College Program Authorization form.

    For more information about Florida Prepaid College, please visit the Office of Student Account Services website. You can also email them at; please be sure to put "Florida Prepaid" as the subject line.

  • I'm no longer interested in UM. Where can I withdraw my application?

    Thank you for your interest in the University of Miami. Be sure to complete the withdrawal form in the Applicant Portal and good luck with your future endeavors.