Frequently Asked Questions

Open All Tabs
  • How do I navigate CaneLink?

    If you need help navigating CaneLink, check out our CaneLink Quick Guide.

  • How do I submit my nonrefundable enrollment deposit?

    To submit your nonrefundable enrollment deposit, you must accept your offer of admission in your CaneLink account by the date indicated on your admission letter.

    Payment can be made via your CaneLink account by credit card or electronic check.

  • How do I submit my housing prepayment?

    Once we have received and processed your nonrefundable enrollment deposit, it will take 24-48 business hours for the housing application link to be activated on your CaneLink account. To apply for on-campus housing, you must submit an additional $500 housing prepayment via CaneLink under the "UM Housing" section. For more specific questions about applying for housing, please contact the Department of Housing and Residential Life at 305-284-4505 or via email at


  • Are first-year students guaranteed housing?

    In order for first-year student housing to be guaranteed, first-year students admitted for the fall semester should apply for housing by the priority deadline of May 15. Housing applications received after the priority deadline are accepted on a space-available basis. All non-local first-year students are required to live on campus. The University requires new first-year students to live on campus for at least two semesters unless they apply for and meet one of the approved reasons for receiving an exception:

    • Been out of high school for more than one year
    • Married or has dependent children
    • 19 years of age or older
    • Extenuating circumstances that can be documented
    • Living at home with family in Miami-Dade or Broward County

    First-years who plan to live off-campus must complete the Live-On Requirement Exemption form at 

    First-year students admitted for the spring semester can apply for housing using the spring-only housing application available in CaneLink. Applications for spring semester typically go live on November 1. Spring housing applications are due December 1. Housing applications received after that date are accepted on a space-available basis.

  • When will I know my housing assignment?

    Room assignments for fall housing applicants are available via CaneLink in early July.

    Room assignments for spring housing applicants are available via CaneLink by late December.

  • Can I still apply for financial aid?

    Yes, you can still apply; however, if it is determined that you are eligible, financial aid will be awarded only if funds remain available. Be sure to complete both the CSS Profile and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit any additional tax documents as soon as possible. For more information, visit our Office of Financial Assistance and Employment.

  • Does the University of Miami offer a payment plan for tuition and fees?

    The Office of Student Account Services offers several alternative payment options. Some are administered by Student Account Services, and others are administered by financial institutions. For more information, please visit the Tuition Payment Plans webpage. 

  • Can I postpone my enrollment and take a gap year?

    Although the original deadline to request a postponement has passed, if you are interested in postponing your enrollment to a future term, you must submit an explanation detailing your proposed plans for the gap semester/year via email at no later than Friday, June 24. We will review proposed plans on a case-by-case basis. Be sure to include "Postponement/Gap Year" in the subject line of your email.

    Please note:

    • Transfer students admitted cannot postpone enrollment.
    • First-years admitted for the fall semester can postpone enrollment for a period of up to one year.
    • First-years admitted for the spring semester cannot postpone enrollment.

    You will be notified of your postponement status as soon as possible. If unapproved college coursework is taken during the gap year, you will have to reapply as a transfer student and receive a new admission decision, which will include consideration of the new academic information.

  • What do I need to know about Orientation?

    'Cane Kickoff is our new student orientation that marks a new beginning and time of celebration for all undergraduate incoming students. The required program provides you with the foundation for your life at UM. Optional programming is also provided for family members. Visit the Orientation webpage for additional information. 

    'Cane Kickoff is held the week before classes begin in:

    • August if you are beginning in the fall
    • January if you are beginning in the spring

  • Can I double major or add a minor?

    Yes, UM not only allows but also encourages students to pursue double majors or a combination of majors and minors across disciplines, especially in unrelated academic fields. Some major combinations might be more feasible than others, but a student’s academic advisor will be sure to provide direction.

  • When can I add a second major and/or minor?

    Students will have an opportunity to do so when they speak with an academic advisor during orientation.

  • Who can I speak to about disabilities or accessibility resources?

    The Office of Disability Services provides resources to students with disabilities. You can email them at or call 305-284-2374. 

  • Do I have to submit immunization records?

    The Student Health Service website has all the information you will need about health and immunization requirements. You can email them at or call 305-284-9100 with any questions.

  • Am I required to participate in the University's health insurance?

    All full-time students are required to obtain adequate health insurance. The annual premium for the health insurance plan offered through the Student Health Service is added to each student’s fees.

    • Domestic students with adequate alternative coverage may opt out of the University’s health insurance and request cancellation via CaneLink.
    • International students are required to enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance program.

  • On CaneLink, what is a proxy?

    A proxy user is a person who has been given access to a student’s record in CaneLink. This is a popular option for students who wish to grant access to their parent(s) or guardian(s).

  • What is a 'Cane Card?

    Your 'Cane Card is your on-campus identification card at the University of Miami. All University students are required to carry their 'Cane Card for identification purposes while on campus. With it, you can gain access to buildings (including residence halls, the library, computer labs, and the Wellness Center) and athletic events, check out books from the library, purchase discounted Metrorail tickets, and pay for meals.