Transfer FAQs

Congratulations, you’re a 'Cane! But now what? You have questions. We have answers. Here are the most common questions we get from newly admitted transfer students.

Open All Tabs
  • When do I register for classes?

    Please refer to the Registration Timeline for fall and spring term registration dates. In the meantime, you can review the Undergraduate Academic Bulletin to view curriculum requirements and a sample plan of study for your specific major. Once on the page, select your school/college, major, and track/degree.

  • When do I meet with my academic advisor?

    You will meet with your advisor when you come to campus for orientation, and they will help set your final schedule for the semester, as well as advise you on how your credits transfer into your major.

  • Is housing available for transfer students?

    Explore off-campus housing and consider purchasing a commuter meal planTransfer students are not eligible to apply for on campus housing. For assistance in navigating the off campus opportunities explore the off-campus housing website.

  • How do I see which of my credits transferred?

    Transfer credit evaluations are conducted after the student has completed an application and been admitted. Note that only credits from a regionally accredited institution are transferable to the University of Miami.

    You can view your transfer credit evaluations in your Applicant Portal or through CaneLink.

    >>Suggested Coursework to Prepare for Transfer

  • How does the Cognates Program of General Education work?

    Courses that transfer to specific UM course equivalencies can be used in fulfilling the Cognates Program. Students will be able to consult with their academic advisor for the details on applying non-UM courses to the Cognates Program.  

  • Why was I admitted into a different major?

    If you were admitted to a major different than your first choice, it is because you do not meet the criteria (required GPA or prerequisite coursework) for your first choice major. After earning the required GPA and/or taking the necessary classes at UM, you can ask your academic advisor to request an interdepartmental or a school/college change of major.

  • Can I change my major?

    Once enrolled, you must contact the department directly for a change of major.

    Note that some programs may have various requirements before you can request a change of major.

  • May I have an extension on submitting my nonrefundable enrollment deposit?

    Submitting your nonrefundable enrollment deposit before or on the designated deadline in your admission letter is the only way to secure your place in the class. We will not withdraw your admission decision if you miss your deposit deadline, but you may lose your place if the transfer class fills up prior to submitting your nonrefundable enrollment deposit.

  • When will I receive my Financial Aid package?

    The Office of Financial Assistance and Student Employment works diligently to put together your financial aid package. If it does not arrive before your deposit deadline, contact them at 305-284-6000 or If you have not done so already, be sure to submit all the required financial aid documents.

  • May I postpone my enrollment?

    Transfer students are not eligible to postpone their enrollment to a future entry term.